3.5 update servers "seem to be unavailable"?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Jun 19 23:17:31 UTC 2003

Ned Konz wrote:

>I was able to update a 3.6 image without complaint.
>However, when I tried to update a 3.5-5180 image, I get a complaint
>that "all update servers seem to be unavailable".
>Is this a real problem?

I'm seeing the same thing at the moment.  I think I know what's going on
here... the main (UIUC) updates site happens to be down right now for
whatever reason. (although it seems that I can ftp to it directly... hmm)

When you try to load updates and tell it to use the Squeak Public
Updates (North American) group of servers, it tries both the UIUC site
and the backup site.  Early on during 3.6alpha we changed the backup
updates site from squeaklet.com (Michael Rueger's machine) to one at
squeakfoundation.com.  It looks like Michael has probably finally taken
down squeaklet.com for his own use, which he was planning to do
eventually.  So, in 3.5, both North American servers (UIUC and
squeaklet.com) are down, but in 3.6, the squeakfoundation server is
still up.

However, in 3.5, you can still choose to update with the European Squeak
Updates group, and that works.

I'm guessing UIUC should come back up soon...

- Doug Way