Enhanced & Extended Serial Port support.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jun 20 04:08:11 UTC 2003

I've push a changeset and macintosh plugins onto the server, they
should appear in a few days.

The SerialExtendedMacOS9Plugin.sit goes in the mac 3.5 noncarbon plugin
location
The SerialExtendedUnixPlugin.bundle goes in the mac 3.5 carbon plugin
location
{yes the name implies unix, but os-x is unix...}
The EnhancedSerialPorts-JMM changeset which is the classes and plugin
interface logic you need to file in.

I suspect usage will be limited but it enables you to do things with
serial ports (and file handles, hint any file handle) that you can't do
otherwise. I would think to compile this code on your favorite Linux
box that would be a snap.

Only one platform specific primitive or method exists
serialPortFindNamesPlusKeysstorage which on os-x invokes the
IOServiceGetMatchingServices() call to get path names to devices  that
support the serial protocols. This primitive call a common  Linux box
could be replaced by smalltalk code to iterate over /dev or read some
sort of control file etc to figure out  the path names to the serial
devices. For mac os-9 this functionality was already part of the VM.
I'm hoping that  no platform specific C code will be required for unix
boxes. Alas windows users require someone to do the dirty work  if you
want windows specific serial calls? Or will unix emulation
somewhere/how etc work?  Couldn't speak for parallel ports, never even
occurred to me to investigate till now.

I should point out that Dan Ingalls <Dan at SqueakLand.org> was kind
enough to actually fund with  real USA $  some of the work required to
build this plugin, then willing to release it to the public. So enjoy,
and  thank Dan for motivating ($) me to write the code and for
releasing it.

PS I won't pass up an opportunity to point out if you've an obscure
macintosh specific feature you would like and like Dan have a bit of
cash to pay for it, then we should talk.

===