[ANN][WIN32] 3.5.1 VM now available

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Sun Jun 22 02:57:49 UTC 2003

Hi Andreas,

    Thanks for the new release, especially the goodie ;-)

    This release works out of the box just as advertised.

    A few observations:

        1/- Mpeg3Plugin 'makefile.win32':

            a/- 'del' should be changed to 'rm' to work on WinXP
            b/- The build with Mpeg3Plugin as external was stalled at:

                $(RM) $(LIBOBJ) $(LIB).lib $(LIB).exp $(LIB).def

            with this complaint:

                rm: Mpeg3Plugin.exp: No such file or directory

            The following mod was needed to make the build happy:

                $(RM) $(LIBOBJ) $(LIB).lib $(LIB).def  # $(LIB).exp

        2/- 'Plugins.int' and 'Plugins.ext':

            Should it be more convenient to have 'Plugins.int' and
            'Plugins.all' instead ?

            Then one needs to muck around with just 'Plugins.int' to switch
            the status of a plugin from internal to external.

            It's less error prone to edit just 'Plugins.int' instead of both
            'Plugins.int' and 'Plugins.ext' . (This comment is just trying
            to hide how lazy I am ;-)

            BTW, the rule in the makefile seems to support my suggestion,
            'sqNamedPrims.h' only depends on plugins/plugins.int
            (actually, it should also depend on 'Plugins.all' ;-)

            Actually,  'sqNamedPrims.h' should NOT depend on anything,
            not VMMaker, not 'makeprims', saving the world all the
            troubles of jumping through these loops just to slide a plugin
            from internal to external.

            How can anyone make it depend on anything if it doesn't
            exist at all. Who has the magical power to perform this
            disappearance act ?

            Don't I wish that Harry would lend someone his wand ;-)

        Cheers,

        PhiHo