changing Squeak's license

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sun Jun 22 23:32:50 UTC 2003

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Whatever happened with the Squeak re-licensing effort?  Can't we just ask
> them to change to the standard Apple open source license?
>
> I remember some talk a while back, but never heard any followup.
> Did anyone ever contact a legal person from Apple?
>
> It is frustrating that Squeak still can't get into Debian.

I agree that it is frustrating but if you go through the last batch of
discussions you will find that there is hardly any point in going to
Apple, because they can only change the license for a very small part of
Squeak.

The last word IIRC was that all in all - the best way to change Squeak-L
would be through sublicensing. But AFAIK nobody pursued has that (yet).

Finally - before beating more on this particular horse - check the
archives for the discussions. There were lenghty but fruitful
discussions both on SqF and sqdev.

regards, Göran