Code/Data Duality - request for help

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Tue Jun 24 16:11:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:19:30PM +0200, Brent Pinkney wrote:
> Any pointers ?

http://www2.parc.com/csl/groups/sda/projects/reflection96/docs/rivard/rivard.html

Smalltalk: a Reflective Language

Abstract:

As in the LISP tradition, SMALLTALK is almost entirely written in  itself.
It offers important advantages such as large portability, dynamicity, a
fully unified world, graphical user interface builders,  connection to
databases, powerful development tools, etc. In this paper we discuss the
trait that underlies all these features: REFLECTION. We quote one of its
definitions and in the first part of this paper go through the different
reflective aspects of SMALLTALK. We expand five  major aspects in detail:
meta-operations, the classes/metaclasses model, the reified compiler,
message sending  and the behavioral representation through the reification
of the executive stack frame of each process. We illustrate their use with
significant applications, based both on our industrial and research
experiences. In the second part of the paper, we introduce and fully develop
pre/post conditions in SMALLTALK, dealing with extensions of the model, the
compiler, and the development environment.

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de