[KCP] Thoughts on adding system changes and refactoring ChangeSet

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Jun 24 17:47:22 UTC 2003

Hi Roel,

Yes, yes, yes. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I looked into doing this myself a while back, but then got distracted
with other things. I do have some thoughts.

I noticed a couple more places that react to system changes, and really
should be clients of this notification system. One is the "recent
submissions" mechanism of the Utilities class. I confess that I don't
really understand what this is for. Perhaps this obsolete or will made
so by your work.

The other is the changes file, which made me a bit nervous, as it's not
something you want to break.

The tricky bit here is that you don't want to make the system
vulnerable to broken clients of the notifications. I managed to hose an
image by installing a client that caused a MNU error after method
compilation, but before the installation of the compiled method. It may
be that all I needed was to evaluate the action with an ensure: block,
but I'm not sure that's bulletproof.

Cheers,

Colin