newbie question: "reverse engineering" a Morph

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 18:33:37 UTC 2003

Hi John,

The short answer is: You can't do this in Squeak as it is. "Reverse
engineering a Morph" as code is (in many ways) just another way of storing
an object (just like a morph on a file) but this path has not been pursued
in Squeak - mostly because for the general case it is very slow and results
in very large files.

The one thing I'm really curious about is - why do you want to do this? The
only reason I can see is that then there's a "human readable form" (instead
of just bits) but this form isn't very nice to look at. So if you think that
this would be a good way for someone else to modify the morph in "text form"
I think you're completely wrong - while the result may be human readable I'm
pretty certain  it's not going to be "human understandable".

Cheers,
  - Andreas