TT / NewLook

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Wed Jun 25 16:06:33 UTC 2003

I think that there would be a series of BIG payoffs for the Squeak
community to include this stuff in 3.6.  Why do I think that?  Well, for
one, it would really show developers in the community that their hard
work will be rewarded!  I don't know if Yoshiki and Diego need the
positive reinforcement, but I think that *everyone else* does.  Also --
I really believe that TT + NewLook would hugely improve the experience
Squeak, for a lot of people, as an environment for extended
work-and-play.

I really appreciate the guides' efforts to help the Squeak community
find an effective harvesting process.  At the same time, I think that
the guides need to relax a little about how closely we follow the
process in 3.6 -- as, for example, happened when the network rewrite was
included recently.  I would propose that rather than delay TT and
NewLook to 3.7, we should instead delay being supah-rigorous on the
process until 3.7.

So stuff breaks -- big deal!   Let's get the community excited; I
believe that more than anything will motivate us to keep working on the
process.