[ANN] MAPIClient - send email through your regular email program

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jun 25 18:30:02 UTC 2003

Hi Guys,

I've always hated that I'm not able to send email from within Squeak through
my regular mailer (Outlook). Since this has gotten really bothersome
recently (mostly because BFAV is unusable if you can't conveniently email
from Squeak) I've written an MAPIClient which can be used instead.

If you are on Windows and use Outlook, Eudora or any other Mailer which
support MAPI (almost all do) you can use the MAPIClient to send email
messages right through your mailer (with all of the advantages like being
able to use your address book etc).

If you're on a 3.6 based system, simply load the MAPIClient package - the
next time you want to send an email, you will be asked whether to use
MAPIClient or MailComposition. Choose MAPIClient and voila! Your Email
client will pop up with the message right away.

One gotcha though: While the message is being sent, Squeak is effectively
locked up as MAPI will complete synchronously. I haven't found out if
there's a way to do it asynchronously - if you know one, then please improve
the client!

Cheers,
  - Andreas