[ANN] Jabber

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Wed Jun 25 20:35:38 UTC 2003

Marcus Denker wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 03:12:15PM -0400, Stephen Pair wrote:
>

>>Very nice!  Works like a charm...I tested it with my AIM account (using
>>a Jabber server AIM gateway)...now all we need is a Jabber server (or
>>did you do that too?).
>>

>The server does not need to be written in Squeak... why not use
>http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/ ?
>I really can't think of anything gained from having the server
>been reimplemented in Squeak. Squeak happily uses e.g  DNS servers
>that are not written in Squeak.

If for no other reason than the flexibility gained by having it in
Smalltalk.  But, you don't necessarily need a reason to do something do
you?  It could just be for kicks couldn't it?  However, I could imagine
someone needing it for a some type of multi-modal communications
system.  I've frequently yearned for a mail server in Squeak.

>We should have our own server, for "nice" JIDs. I'd like
>to have marcus at squeak.org ;-)

And that server should be running in Squeak.  ;)

- Stephen