Telnetting into Squeeek.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jun 25 23:09:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:12:37AM -0700, Alan Grimes wrote:
> David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >  but you could just stick it behind an inetd service or something of
> > the sort.
>
> I was under the impression that inetd was a decoy program meant only to
> confuse the new user and serves no useful purpose... The _ONLY_ Way that
> I have found to run ftpd is to start it manually by "./ftpd - D". Why
> the primary means of starting the ftpd-service is by simuly launching
> the daemon (without the -D) is entirely beyond me....

inetd just handles the socket connections so your server program can
talk to stdin/stdout instead of handling all the socket things. So if you
have a simple program that talks to stdin/stdout, you can turn in into
a quick and dirty "server" application by running it from inetd.

> > More importantly from the point of view of the user, how do you
> > conceptually keep track of shared object memories?
>
> I had posted a piece about my Sphere operating system design to this
> list, a while back....
>
> The approcah I would take would be to implement the changes described in
> that posting....
>
> >  It's not a single-user system at that point, so you are into Gemstone
> > territory  now.
>
> I am not exactly sure what you mean by "gemstone teritory"....

Oh, sorry. Gemstone is a multi-user Smalltalk, and that may be similar
to what you have in mind with Sphere. Disregard my comment here.

> When I say I wasted 2,000 hours I mean I was forced to spend that time
> doing things that would either have not been required at all in DOS or
> required 10,000,000,000:1 as much time as it took me to do the same task
> in DOS.

Well, I have a hard time figuring out how to get anything done in DOS, so
I know exactly how you feel.

Dave