[FS] Jornada 720 (aka Interim Dynapad) for Sale

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Jun 26 04:16:10 UTC 2003

Hello everyone!

If you are offended by this, I apologize.  This is a blatant For Sale
posting, for my Jornada 720 Windows CE PDA.

After thinking about it, I decided to offer it first on the Squeak-dev
list rather than eBay, hoping someone else would use it for Squeaking.
To encourage such, I will knock off 10% the eBay norm price for anyone on
the list. I wish I could take off more, but I'm a dirt poor college
student. I'm selling it because of this fact as well. Anything not
covered, feel free to email me your questions!

Short Story:
For Sale- Jornada 720, including a slick leather case and 2 GB PCMCIA
harddrive for $490 O.B.O., including shipping.  Includes a 10% discount
for Squeak listers.

Long Story:
This is a really nice machine.  Cosmetically, it is in perfect condition-
no scratches on the screen or case.  I have owned it for about 10 months,
and I've cared for it extremely well during this time.

The J720 is very versatile.  I pretty much use it as a real computer,
rather than an expensive datebook.  Thanks to its keyboard- which uses a
mechanism like a laptop keyboard (rather than being like most thumboards
or older H/PCs), and I touch type on it pretty fast with my stubby fingers
and big hands.

While I do most of my computing at school or the office during the school
year, the J720 was pretty much my main machine when I was at home.  I use
it for: writing papers in LaTeX (and doing the compilation and viewing in
WinDVI all on the device) [1], programming in Squeak, Dialect, REBOL and
Perl/Tk (Python, Ruby, and many others also available) [2], taking all of
my college lecture notes, reading PDFs, IRC chatting on #squeak in IrcCE
or Enhanced Squeak IRC, browsing the web [3], reading eBooks, listening to
MP3s and OGGs, doing email- via a perfectly readable 80x24 SSH session,
and running the occasional remote X11 app or accessing another machine
using VNC.

This puppy manages to both allow you to do pretty much all of those things
Zaurus users brag about, but without giving up PDA-style productivity.

[1] Thanks to Rainer, there is actually quite a bit more in the way of
"regular" Unix software ported and adapted to WindowsCE on a small screen
and the Jornada 720 than there is for the Zaurus!
http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/software.html

[2] I maintain a list of PDA-hosted languages at:
http://dynapad.swiki.net/11

[3] As someone who has used both Pocket IE on PocketPC 2k and 2k2 as well
as IE on H/PC 2k, I must point out that there is a big difference.  I
found PIE on PPC to be disapointing- slow and very cramped.  Part of it is
the size of the screen yes, but a good part is the software as well.

PIE for PPC has the approximate feature set of IE 3.0, with some additions
like SSL.  IE for the Handheld PC 2000 on the otherhand, supports the
feature set of IE 4.5; it also seems to render pages faster than a
similarily-equipped PocketPC. With a wireless card, the j720 goes a very
good job of supporting laptop-like functionality in a much, much smaller
device, without sacrificing as much as your average PocketPC or PalmOS
device does. There's even a tabbed browser for WinCE that embeds IE called
fxtBrowser.

The package:
* Jornada 720 Handheld PC ($420)
	- Windows CE 3.0, Handheld PC 2000
	- Can also run Linux or NetBSD
	- 206 MHz StrongARM CPU
	- 32 MB RAM
	- 640x240 16 bit Color screen
	  (great for Squeaking, SSH and other things)
	- 75% of full-sized keyboard
	- Fast 51 MHz memory bus
	- Li-Ion battery- gets around 8-10+ hours of life
	- 1 PCMCIA Slot, 1 CompactFlash slot
	- IR port
	- Built-in 56K modem
	- Built-in speaker, mic, and headphone jack
	- Docking station w/ USB connection
	- AC Adapter

Software: All the usual WinCE stuff- Pocket Office (Word, Excel, Access
and PowerPoint [PP is viewer only]); PIM (Addressbook, Contacts, Email,
Todo); Windows media player; Voice recorder; OmniSolve; Solitaire... and
Squeak! It also has a Java VM.

* Nice leather case ($55)
* 2 GB PCMCIA hard drive ($70)
	- same line as in the iPod
	- cheapest way to store oodles of Squeak images and MP3s
	- comes with a handy and fairly rugged case

* Price: $490 O.B.O

The above prices are average eBay prices, adding up to $545.  Take off
10%, and you get $490.  So, the price is $490 (Or Best Offer) for the
whole setup, including UPS Ground in US/Canada.  If you'd like it without
the 2 GB PCMCIA card, make an offer.

For some photos, specs, and a good review, check out this page-
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/hp720-review.html

For screenshots of H/PC 2k:
http://www.cewindows.net/wce/30/HPC2000screens.htm
(although, the quality is kind of low- the actual screen doesn't look so
grainy!)

If you're interested, email me and make an offer.  If you would like to
see photos of the specific unit I have, email me and I'll send you a
private link.

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "if i don't stay true to live and hate, how do i differentiate
              between chasing cream and chasing dreams"  :: atmosphere