[ANN] Jabber

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 26 06:18:58 UTC 2003

Stephen Pair <stephen at pairhome.net> wrote:
> Very nice!  Works like a charm...I tested it with my AIM account (using
> a Jabber server AIM gateway)...now all we need is a Jabber server (or
> did you do that too?).

Jabber is actually carefully defined so that you can do a ton of stuff
without needing to change the server per se.  You can just add things to
the network that speak the Jabber protocol.

I don't know the details, but I'd guess all the suggestions that have
been posted don't actually require a custom Jabber server.  In fact,
this flexibility is a nice reason to use Jabber to begin with.  It's
more than just a chat network.

I believe the setup is, you can add "server" type thingies at a
well-known Jabber ID.  Then, you can send arbitrary XML messages to and
from the server.  Talking over Jabber is thus a lot like talking over
the Internet, except that users are not always logged in and users can
have their IP change.   Heck, it even lets people log in more than one
time simultaneously.

Similarly, writing a new Jabber server is like writing a new TCP/IP
implementation.

Right?

As a notable example, it should be utterly feasible to have the badge
morphs talking over Jabber.

Lex