[BUG] BFAV not showing all posts (was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Shepherding large enhancements)

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Thu Jun 26 16:58:56 UTC 2003

> I've just noticed that this can be incredibly hard if you
> don't see all of the appropriate messages. Looking for a
> specific set of enhancements (namely, Anthony's changes) I
> found absolutely nothing showing up in BFAV. Going to the
> SQFIXES archives showed me that the posts _were_ listed there
> and looking at the email-repository I found that the contents
> of the post in question simply said "an error occured...
> server not responding".
>
> So it seems as if (that version of?) BFAV will simply drop
> messages if the server is not responsive. I just dumped the
> entire archive and reloaded it from scratch and (looking over
> all the posts manually) it seems that this time things went
> well (e.g., no server errors) but if it hasn't this bug
> should be fixed. It's very hard to review fixes if you don't
> even see them
> ;-)

Crud.  Thanks Andreas.  This is an issue for all BFAV releases.  I have
been aware of this issue, and thinking about it, but haven't put a lot
of work into it yet.  I've put it off mainly because I'm worried about
introducing bad complexity to the "load-updates" process.  Right now the
load-updates process *does* create a list of "retry" uids, but doesn't
do anything with them.

I'm not sure what the simplest solution is.  How about the BFAV:
(1) Have the load-updates process do one pass through the retry uids.
(2) Provide a "check for gaps" button that reports any missing uids, and
offers to try and download 'em?