[BUG]DVS breaks FileContentsBrowser diffing

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri Jun 27 20:16:40 UTC 2003

Ned Konz wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2003 12:55 pm, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
>>Ned Konz wrote:
>>[...]
>>

>>>* make Squeak more robust loading files. I'd vote for this one.
>>>There's no reason why we can't translate any of:
>>>
>>>	CR
>>>	CRLF
>>>	CRCRLF
>>>	CRLFLF
>>>
>>>into a single native CR on file-in.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>Hrm... what makes the last few a single CR by definition instead of
>>two CR's ?  But I agree that getting something consistent out of it
>>would be good in one way or another.
>

> Because the last two are not valid, and are the result of breaking the
> files with older bugs. They started out as single line endings and
> were broken. They should be read in as single line endings.
>
> There have already been such broken files checked into the aubergines
> CVS.

Well, they're broken, so I agree the user no longer has any right to
expect perfection.  But I disagree that they necessarily started as
single line endings.  Text editors that aren't smart about line endings
often just write out their own line endings where you put in new ones
but don't modify the ones that were there.  So if you had a file with
CRLF's in it and you put a new blank line in, it would write out CRLFLF.

Can't think of which programs in specific but I have seen it before.
Anyway, like you said, the file is invalid and those line endings are
basically non-deterministic.  Just being pedantic which is dumb on my
part considering how tired I am of talking about line endings and how
little I actually care in practice how CRLFLF is interpreted :D

Julian