Cleaning Chunk format emission experience

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jun 29 08:47:29 UTC 2003

Hi

After two years I dived again into Squeak to generate Squeak code for
VW (It is fun to see how 123 was small)
and I found against trapped in the twists (meandres in french I guess)
of the chunk format implementation.
Why HTML generation in the middle and method not called or called at
three different places
you have to put tape everything and pray that it does not break.

Does anybody have ever cleaned this part for a private/personal
project? I ask that because
I have the impression that classBoxes, Traits and any other language
experiment that want to support
a different file out will bump into that. So this will come in our way.

I was thinking that we could have a fileouter wich would contain the
logic of the fileouting and
we could file out in HTML, XML, whatever if needed. but not by patching
everythingwhere.

Stef