Reason for lack of Oracle driver

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 14:50:27 UTC 2003

--- Martin Drautzburg <martin.drautzburg at web.de>
wrote:
> Is there a reason why there is no oracle support in
> squeak (such as
> licensing issues) or is it simply that nobody has
> done it yet ?
>
> What would I have to do to write a driver ? Would I
> use FFI and hook
> up to linclntsh.so (or oci.dll) ? A lot of what is
> needed could
> probably be stolen from perl or Smalltalk/X oracle
> drivers isn't it ?

In the meantime, you can always use ODBC to connect to
Oracle...

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2480

You can also download the OBDC package on SqueakMap...
 Didn't try it inside out but I know it works fine
with all my databases, i.e. Oracle 9i, DB2 6.x, DB2
7.x, MySQL 3.23.5x, MySQL 4.x and MS SQL Server 2000...

=====