Omnibase - general questions

Derek Brans brans at nerdonawire.com
Sun Jun 29 17:06:27 UTC 2003

Question 1 - BTree Keys for persistant objects

I want to use arbitrary persistent objects as btree keys.  Could this be accomplished by using the object's ObjectID in the database?

If so, what would you recommend using as the key (is ObjectID>>hash unique)?

What is the length of that key?

Question 2 - Marking clusters as dirty

If you change a sub-object in a cluster, that cluster needs to be notified that it is dirty.

What is a good pattern for accomplishing this:

a) Have all sub-object edits go through the cluster's root object
b) Have the sub-object somehow notify the cluster's root object that it is dirty.

Question 3 - Maximum number of clients reached

I can't start any new transactions on my database because I get the error: "Maximum number of clients reached" in ODBClientManager>>newClient.
I think OCBCientTable is having difficulty locking the client ID table.  Could this be a bug?

Question 4 - BTreeIndexDictionary

The documentation says that this class maps keys to sets of values (ie keys need not be unique).  However #at: only returns one value holder.  I don't get it.

Thank you.

Derek Brans
Nerd on a Wire
Web design that's anything but square