Another problem with the current fileout format

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Jun 29 18:08:50 UTC 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Avi how do you manage these annoying string in CVS? Just as string I
> imagine but this means that we cannot really do too much.

Stef,

I don't store changesets in CVS, in any format.  I only store
representations of complete packages.  So you don't explicitly mention
removals, you implicitly mention them by not having that class declaration
exist anymore (and the tools for loading these representations figure out
that what in fact needs to be done is a removal, if that class is still in
the image but not in the fileout you're loading).

The representations themselves work exactly as you're describing, ie, what
I store looks like

MCClassDeclaration
  name: #Foo
  superclass: #Bar

so that you get an object representing the declaration, *not* actually
create a class when you evaluate it.