Trouble getting updates w/o Squeak

Jazzmynn jazzmynn at ida.net
Mon Jun 30 18:05:59 UTC 2003

I having problems "batch downloading" Squeak updates.

On the Swiki page "Updating with no net access"
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/24), a reference is made to an
"updates.list" file
(http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/Squeak2.0/updates/updates.list).

When I try to access this file in a web browser, I never get connected.

It seems that I used to be able to access the updates via FTP
(ftp://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/updates/), but the last time this worked
was 2003-06-14 (change set 5269), and hasn't worked since.

Does anyone have a suggestion to accomplish what I did "in the Good
Olde Days" short of running Squeak?

You're possibly chuckling or sneering something about why in the
world I'm so concerned about getting updates when it seems that
"running Squeak" is such a last resort...

Thing is, my Internet access is somewhat unpredictable, and I'd like
to be able to "stay current" even if I'm accessing the updates from a
computer that doesn't have Squeak installed (public library, office,
friend's house...).

Enough rambling.