SUnit Test Failure on fresh Image - Win32

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Sat Mar 1 19:48:16 UTC 2003

Andrew

Andrew Berg <andrew_c_berg at pop.mail.yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's a bit funny.  I consider myself a novice, and I also get a similar
> failed test:
> TestUUIDPrimatives>>testCreationRandom
>
> I fiddled about with the debugger for a while but didn't really get
> anywhere toward figuring out what was wrong.  it looked like UUID's were
> being made, but then the test was looking for some specific bits to be in
> some specific pattern, and they were not.  I'm stuck there.
>
> -andrew

Actually SUnit tests are there to show if bugs are present or not. If a
test fails that means that a bug is present. It may be in the test or
the target software. Software often has bugs. The bug you see is not the
only one in the Squeak image but it is visible for anybody because of
the SUnit tests. For this reason Tim Rowledge wants to remove the SUnit
tests to lower the visibility in the final release (you will then have
to load SUnit and the tests from SqueakMap to do the tests).

As an illustration I add an email by Doug Way below.

-- Hannes

P.S. You know,  even an unnamed large software company ships software
with bugs.
But they don't provide the tools to easily detect them ....  ;-)
That these kinds of questions are discussed shows that we have an
emerging testing
culture within the Squeak community. In the long run having these tests
will
speed up the develoment process enourmously. At the moment most tests
are performed
by harvesters inspecting at the code, putting it in the update stream
and waiting
if somebody complains. This waiting process is responsible for long
release cycles.