The Blue Book turns 20

Paul McCullough paulSqueak at mystagemanager.com
Sun Mar 2 07:48:45 UTC 2003

At 03:22 PM 3/1/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>         So, the preface to the Blue Book (google: "Blue Book Smalltalk")
> gives
>the date as "January 1983". On what month/day was the book actually
>released?

I received my copy directly from Adele and Dave at PARC. The dedication is
dated (by them) as 4/20/83. I believe these copies were some of the very
first shipped by Addison-Wesley.

For the record, my copy of the Orange Book was signed by Adele on 1/19/84.
My copy of the Green Book, signed by Glenn Krasner, is unfortunately
lacking the date he signed it.

I still have one of the few tickets for a hot air balloon ride at PARC for
the official release of the Smalltalk-80 system.

Nice memory Craig, thanks for the reminder...
paul