...and its Implementation

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Sun Mar 2 20:30:23 UTC 2003

Hi--

	Bert writes:

> For everyone who wants to get the right book: It's titled
> "Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation", a later edition
> misses the "Implementation" part [search: "blue book smalltalk
> dwighth"].

	I think it's worth mentioning, though, that it wasn't completely
dropped; it got condensed into a single chapter (chapter 21 of
"Smalltalk-80: The Language", AKA "The Purple Book", ISBN 0-201-13688-0,
still in print). That chapter gives a decent overview. Just add Squeak,
the "Back to the Future" papers (search: "back future squeak"), and
you're set. :)  And of course, Dwight's transcription of the original
Blue Book implementation section is great.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist