[ENH] was: Acessing ImageImports by direct manipulation

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Mon Mar 3 07:32:58 UTC 2003

Hi, Hannes,

There is a tool in the image, called GraphicalDictionaryMenu, which
allows you to view, edit, and search any dictionary whose values are
Forms.  It's sort of like a DictionaryInspector, but you see the
actual graphics rather than a textual description of each element.

Two items in the morphic desktop's "help" menu bring up such a tool,
namely "graphical imports" (this is the answer to your specific
question) and "standard graphics library", which lets you browse
through the dictionary of graphics used by various widgets in the
Morphic UI.

By coincidence, I had occasion to revisit and use this tool very
recently, and I encountered the need for several further functions
and refinements, which I offer fwiw in the attached fileout, which
contains the following improvements:

*  The last keyword searched for is used as the default for 'find...'
*  When there is no new match in a search, but the current item does
match that search, the tool flashes rather than claiming no match.
*  'Find again' command added.
*  Added 'Browse symbol references' command, to browse all references
to the key symbol of the currently-selected entry.
*  Added 'Browse string references' command, to track down all
methods with string literals that may refer to the currently-selected
entry.
*  Querying the StandardScriptingSystem for a form at a given key no
longer needlessly interns the key if it's not already interned.
*  The tool's main menu now has a 'stay-up item'.

Cheers,

   -- Scott