SUnit Test Failure on fresh Image - Win32

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 3 10:27:11 UTC 2003

Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> >
> > >  For this reason Tim Rowledge wants to remove the SUnit
> > > tests to lower the visibility in the final release (you will then have
> > > to load SUnit and the tests from SqueakMap to do the tests).
> > Don't be so damned insulting.
> >
> > Not to mention wrong.
> >
> > tim
>
> You just said that you want to remove the SUnit stuff. This led me to
> the conclusion.
> If you are going to fix - ok then - fine!

Jesus guys. Hannes - you must be aware of the fact that we are aiming
for a kernel image below 300kb in size. Yes, the longterm goal for
Squeak is to have a very, *very* small kernel image and then load
everything as packages on top.

Of course, we can preloaded images for easy download, but that is
another issue.

Now - *of course* SUnit should be in a package. As should *every other
darn piece of the image*. And *of course* all the tests should be in
packages no matter what they are for. Even SM itself is a package *as it
should be*.

That does of course NOT mean that they shouldn't be loaded when Joe
Newbie browses his favourite Squeak distro. I mean hey - the kernel will
not even have UI capabilities so it is pretty obvious that we need to
load a whole truckload of packages on top of the kernel until it even
resembles an environment.

regards, Göran

PS. I didn't think it would be this hard to get people to start thinking
in terms of packages instead of the image...