More IPAQ questions

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Mon Mar 3 19:57:32 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Jon Hylands wrote:

> I have a few more questions regarding the IPAQ... Instead of getting
> a used 3150, I may just go for one of the new ones with an X-Scale
> processor. It doesn't look like Linux has been fully ported onto
> this, but I'd be okay running Pocket Windows (or whatever it is called)
> for now.

Probably a good idea, considering that you want to use an 802.11b card.
On the 3150, a CF card is almost necceasry (to get extra memory).

> Does the WinCE version of Squeak run on those machines? Can I access
> TCP/IP sockets from Squeak if I have an 802.11 card plugged in?

Yes.  See Yoshiki's page on WinCE VM to get a VM for the machine.  You can
use networking- I've used Scamper, IRC and Celeste from an iPAQ 3650 as
well as a Jornada 720 with 802.11b cards.  Works great.

> Does anyone have a feeling for how stable one of those machines are,
> running Pocket PC for Windows and Squeak? Do they crash often, or
> hardly at all?

Hardly at all.  I've never had a crash during Dynapad development or use.
I've had my own code screw up my Squeak session, but the same problem
would've happened on any Squeak platform.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "civilization is a limitless multiplication of
                unnecessary necessities."                :: mark twain