[Squeakfoundation]re: release prioritization

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Mar 4 05:18:35 UTC 2003

Finally catching up on some list email...

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 09:22 AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> Hi Hannes and all!
>
> Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:

>> And the list on http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/88
>> is not terribly maintained. Last change 19-DEC-02.
>
> I am not sure what that list has got to do with this? That is a list of
> roles that people have taken on.
> Not a wishlist for people to sign up on.

To make things a bit clearer, I just added some text this page saying:
"If you have a strong interest in volunteering for a role (that is not
already listed here or under Guide roles), please post to the
Foundation Mailing List first to make your interest known."

I think that's a reasonable way to handle things.  After discussion it
can be determined whether the proposed role makes sense, whether
someone else is already doing it, etc.

>> So much energy / knowhow and person-hours are
>> available for bringing Squeak foward, but for reasons I'm not yet
>> fully
>> aware of a lot of this energy dissipates unused because of poor
>> follow ups.
>
> There are tons of reasons. Not having everybody spewing out Swiki pages
> is IMHO not one of them.
> Not having a bug tracking system is one though, an important one.
> Discussing in which posting I offered to set one up is not one of them
> either.
>
> Btw, Jitterbug is a simple webbased system that could possibly work but
> even though it does sound like he NIH-syndrome I actually think we
> could
> do better by building something integrated in Squeak - like SM. SM just
> didn't lift off until it was accessible from inside Squeak.

Absolutely.  For a lot of things it doesn't make much sense to
"reinvent the wheel", but with something like SqueakMap or a bug/bugfix
tracking/harvesting system, the benefits for integrating closely with
Squeak are too great too ignore.  Plus a bug tracking system is not a
particularly difficult wheel to reinvent. :-)

- Doug Way