[DOCS] UI editor

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Tue Mar 4 08:38:18 UTC 2003

Timothy,

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi Timothy!
> Timothy <treaves at silverfields.com> wrote:
> > 	Is there any UI editor in the works?  I look at Squeak every so often,
> > but I still see no way of creating user interfaces that do not require a
> > inordinate amount of work.  Morphic may be fine for animating bunnies, but
> > what about writing a user interface?
>
> There have actually been mutliple attempts over the years. I think you
> should find references to most of them by searching the Squeak Swiki.

The page on 'GUI Building Tools' is
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1576

There seem to be five of them.
Surely it would be time again that somebody looks in this issue - I mean
-
take one of these tools, tests it, tries to come up with a solution
using
it and giving feedback for the further development of the tool.
In most cases the original authors are interested in further development
if somebody is actually using their work.

There are the two approaches
- construction by direct manipultation
- construction by coding

Often the spec is saved in a special format.

-- Hannes

P.S. It would help if you - Timothy - could give an example of the app
you are aiming at. Actually I think Morphic as it is offers interesting
possibilities if you are willing to step away from conventional ideas
about a UI.

And: Do not forget 'Zurgle' by Jim Benson; it has recently been put on
SqueakMap
by the help of Ned Konz
http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/af3f9de2-2ad8-47ad-bf6a-55e9
28b62127
It is amazing!

P.S. 2. And after you have had new insights by doing research about
Squeak UI editors: May I ask you to consider updating the current Swiki
pages on them by adding an experience report?
If you come up to the conclusion that the tools don't work that is
helpful as well because
it may stimulate further development and at least avoid that others have
to make the
same experience.
The page I gave is linked to individual pages describing each GUI
builder tool.