BlockContext serialization

Stéphane Rollandin hepta at zogotounga.net
Tue Mar 4 20:00:57 UTC 2003

> >> a ScaleMorph can not be written to a file (nor serialized with
> >> SIXX) because of its tickPrintBlock
> >> inst var which is a BlockContext.
> >>
> >> is that a bug or a feature ?
> >
> >A bug, I think.
> >
> >> is there a workaround, apart from saving the whole project around
> >> the morph ?
> >
> >Change the ScaleMorph code to use a Message and then use #sentTo:
> >instead of #value: ?
>
>Or simply use something that understands #value: and is not a BlockContext.

trouble is: I just used the ScaleMorph as an example... :)

what I'm really aiming for is the serialization of a BookMorph embedding
dozens of morphs of different kinds. another example where the same problem
appears is a morph using a SortedCollection : can't be serialized because
of the sort block !

so I guess I could subclass all problematic classes, including
SortedCollection (?), but: if it is a bug, could'nt it be fixed ? I don't
know enough to do this by myself I'm afraid.

cheers,

Stef