Fink

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Tue Mar 4 22:57:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:54:56PM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Ralph> Fink is a project to port Unix software to MacOS X, and a tool
> Ralph> that lets MacOS X users download binaries.  Fink has a large
> Ralph> collection of languages, but Smalltalk is not one of them.
> Ralph> That makes sense in a way, since Squeak doesn't have to be
> Ralph> ported to the Mac from Unix, but a lot of people don't care
> Ralph> where software comes from, they just want to download it by
> Ralph> going to a main repository and clicking.  Someone should get
> Ralph> Squeak into Fink.  That would lead to a lot more people trying
> Ralph> it.
>
> fink wants to build things from sources.  Is there a .tar.gz that can
> be downloaded, "make"-ed and then from which Squeak magically appears?
> Fink doesn't want binary releases of things.

Doesn't fink use the Debian package system? We allready have debian
packages for the Unix VM, and they are automatically buildable from
the sources. Just get the required stuff, and use dpkg-buildpackage.

Shouldn't be too difficult to adapt this to fink.

The real question is, of course, if Fink has the same standards
regarding Licensing. Squeak is not part of Debian because of the
Squeak License...

         Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de