Remote Debugging Proposal

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Wed Mar 5 00:52:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 20:42:31 +0300, Daniel Vainsencher
<danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:

> From my experience with GemStone, it's very important to get a clear
> idea of where things are getting evaluated, since the code base (in that
> case, even the libraries) can be quite different between your dev and
> target images.

Daniel,

This is an interesting concern. I plan to have everything that happens in a
remote debugger/browser happen remotely. Having an option to log a copy of
the change log locally is probably a good thing as well, as is building up
a local change set (or something like a change set) with those changes.

One thing that will be interesting is debugging stripped images. The tool
will need to query the remote system to find out if a particular operation
is still supported, or (more likely) it will protect all execution with a
good exception handler (which we want anyways).

Anyways, I've got a bit of work to do before I have to worry about this
stuff...

Later,
Jon