Remote Debugging Proposal

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Mar 5 05:15:45 UTC 2003

Jon,

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Jon Hylands wrote:

> As a piece of my AUV software, I'd like to write a remote development/debugging
> feature that I will use to work on Squeak running on a PDA from a
> workstation, over a socket connection.

Unless I've totally misunderstood what you're after...

If the PDA has sufficient memory to support a fullish image and a biggish
BitMap then I think I'd be inclined to try using the VNC/RFB package on
SqueakMap, which implements the server-side of the RFB protocol entirely
within Squeak.  (It's 'alpha' code so might require some tidying up to
make it reliable.)  You could then start an image on the PDA and connect
to it from a VNC viewer on the workstation.  You'd have an entire Squeak
development environment running on the PDA and displaying remotely on the
workstation.

Ian