About 3.4 on mac

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Mar 5 12:00:24 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 12:20  Uhr, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> I know,
> so may be Squeak should have a well identified tag.

It does:  .image

You could, of course, call it .squeakImage or something, but that won't
help you with the image files as they come out of the zip file, unless
the whole Squeak community decides to change as well.

You could also use type/creator codes, and I think the Carbon VM even
supports them.  However, those aren't cross-platform, so they have at
least the problem above in that a freshly unzipped image is not going
to have them.

> Is there a registration palce on mac for the tags?

Apple used to register type/creator codes.  I am not sure if they have
something for file-extensions, and I am also not sure what the point
would be.  If you have a free choice, you can choose a long enough
extension to be (almost certainly) non-ambiguous.  If you don't have
free choice (due to cross platform issues, for example), then the
registry isn't going to help.

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com