About 3.4 on mac

Bruce ONeel edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Mar 5 14:37:05 UTC 2003

The problem is in:

"I unzip"

does not store the apple file types, especially if you
make the zip on a non macos machine.

Once we have a .sit file (later today) then, with luck,
the right Mac creator code will be in place.

The problem is that Apple took a bad design from MS
(file extensions) and made it worse in MacOSX

Toast seems to want to use .image as its file extension
Squeak wants to use .image as its file extension.  Chaos
reigns.

The Carbon squeak does the right thing when presented
with the right creator code.

Cocoa squeak registers .image as it's file extension and
then all is happy as well.  Well, that is, unless you also
happened to want to use toast and then you're screwed
but that's Apple's fault.

Most mac people should grab the .sit file then they will
be transparently happy, one hopes, since double
clicking on the image should start squeak.

cheers

bruce