Fink

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Mar 5 16:06:01 UTC 2003

Ian>   IMO, if any given Unix app has trouble compiling under OSX then
Ian> the solution is to fix the app (rather than trying to 'fix' any perceived
Ian> 'deficiencies' in the environment under which it's being compiled).

Right.  And if you have the time to do that, go ahead.  I have time to
type "fink install ethereal", and watch the download, *patch*,
compile, and install.  And boom, there's ethereal installed, including
its dependency on libpcap, etc etc.

I think fink is a great system.  All of the knowledge of how to build
the tool *on OSX* is captured in a common system.

And OSX building is just goofy enough (flat namespace, bundles, etc)
that I'm glad I don't have to be an expert at it to use 2500 random
unix packages.

And it *does* stay out of the way... it installs only into /sw, so I
know it won't conflict with anything else.

(I really don't get this "resistance" to fink... it's like being
resistant to a makefile... "darn-it, I can type those commands by
hand... I'm no dummy!" :)