Can Squeak allow two mice on the same PC to controltwoHandMorphsat the same time?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Mar 6 15:18:55 UTC 2003

Am Donnerstag, 06.03.03 um 02:20 Uhr schrieb Brian Keefer:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Darius wrote:
>>
>>> Can Squeak allow two mice on the same PC to control two HandMorphs at
>>> the same time in the same project?
>>
>> Yes, but not out-of-the-box. I had this working once on Linux via the
>> tablet primitives on top of xinput - every connected mouse shows up
>> as a
>> separate xinput device. I do not know if there is a similar API on
>> other
>> platforms.
>
> You could also just go with squeak manually reading a serial port, and
> drawing a cursor for, the second hand. We don't need no steenkin os!

Well, XF86 supports four major types of mice, one of which is serial
(the others are PS/2, USB, and BusMouse). For serial mice alone, there
are 9 different protocols supported. You'd have a heck of a time
implementing all this again ;-)

I'd rather just fire up X with Squeak as the only application. In fact,
it's easy to create a "Squeak session" for xdm/gdm/kdm that takes you
from login prompt into Squeak in less than a second - I tried :-)

-- Bert