[GOODIE] X11Fonts (was RE: Adding Accufonts to the update stream)

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Thu Mar 6 22:18:17 UTC 2003

Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at inria.fr> wrote
on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 1:32 AM

> Just registered on SqueakMap: X11Fonts.  It's a SAR that will install
> ISO-8859-15(Latin9)-encoded TimesRoman, Helvetica, Courier and Fixed in
> various point sizes as system fonts.  Install tested in a vanilla 3.4g1
> image.  Sorry if it breaks for anyone else: it's the first SAR I ever
> tried to build.

Thank you for doing that, Jan.
I just loaded your fonts into a fresh 3.4 image. They look fine, but ...
:-(

I have the impression that with the exception of the fixed width fonts
they all have a small bug: Some of the glyphs at the highest code
points are not present. The attached screenshot
shows this for the largest size of Helvetica. (a very beautiful font
that will certainly find users) Inspection of this font reveals that the
form 'glyphs' has a  width of  2387 pixels, but array  'xTable' contains
coordinates up to 2566.

You certainly loaded the fonts from BDF-files and created sf2-files
with method StrikeFont>>writeAsStrike2On: Reading of BDF-files
changes recently and perhaps the form 'glyphs' is created to small
during reading. What do you think about it?

I will try to look at this stuff again during the weekend.

For now my cordial greetings and thank you again for doing
that work

Boris