[Q]Minimal Unix distribution with Squeak (was Re: Can Squeak allow two mice ...)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Thu Mar 6 22:25:50 UTC 2003

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2003, Cees de Groot wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 17:59, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> > > Does this mean you have some kind of minimal unix distribution
> > > with just Squeak as the app?
> > >
> > He probably means something like entering 'squeak -fullscreen' as the
> > window manager in the X startup scripts (or, cleanly, defining it as a
> > possible xdm session). Works like a charm, and one could imagine
> > building a little distribution around it.
>
> yep, just a session with Squeak in it. So you can choose between a full
> Gnome session or KDE session or Squeak session at login.
>
> -- Bert

Great IDE - Squeak as a KDE "replacement"!
I turn on a computer, get a login screen, choose Squeak as
the session type and voila, I have Squeak taking over ....

From: Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com>
> He probably means something like entering 'squeak -fullscreen' as the
> window manager in the X startup scripts (or, cleanly, defining it as a
> possible xdm session). Works like a charm, and one could imagine
> building a little distribution around it.

Could somebody provide more details / pointers how to set up an xdm
session. Which tool besides messing around with configuration
files do I use under RedHat 8.0 (prof. edition) or SUSE 8.1 to set this
up?
Of course snippets of example configuration files would also
be welcome. I do not mind using config files if I just can work with
a pattern matching / adaptation approach.

-- Hannes