[BUG] Notifier window fadeout

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Mar 7 05:50:24 UTC 2003

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 08:30 PM, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> First thing I get reminded of when starting to look at this is -
> why on earth does going from the notifier to the debugger involve some
> idiotic fading window nonsense? On a fast machine it happens too fast
> notice and on a slow machine it is utterly annoying. Aargh!

I've noticed this too.  Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not intentional.
(Or at least I hope not, in the name of all things decent.)

On a reasonably slow machine (400Mhz Mac G4), this "ghost" window
appears for maybe a 1/4 of second before dissappearing.

My guess is that maybe the component submorphs of the notifier window
are being deleted a little bit later than the rest of the SystemWindow
for some unknown reason.  (Just based on the behavior, I haven't looked
at the code.)  With the #alternativeWindowLook preference (the
default), a lot of window panes are translucent, so I think that
explains the weird fade-out effect.

Hey, I just tried hitting alt-. while the notifier was "fading" out to
see if I could catch it in the act, and I got it on the first try!
I've attached a screenshot.  The ghost window still a full-fledged
PreDebugWindow (SystemWindow) at this point, and I can bring up halos
on it, so my previous theory was wrong.  When inspecting the window,
the color of the window is a TranslucentColor (see the screenshot),
while a normal notifier is a regular Color.  So somewhere the window's
color is being changed before it dissappears.

I don't feel like looking further into it at the moment, but this might
be enough to pique someone's curiosity, and figure out what's going on.

- Doug Way