[DOCS] Swiki as a reference manual? (was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Mar 7 15:35:08 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Compared to the considerable amount of work writing a good
> class comment (research, writing, checking) the task
> of comparing a class comment in Squeak with a possible
> better version on the swiki is a piece of cake.
>
> Of course it would be very handy if there was a button
> in the class browser withing Squeak labeled 'get comment from SqueakMap'
> and another one 'upload comment to SqueakMap'.

Hmmm, well... we still want some form of quality assurance so I don't
think bypassing the Harvesting process (in whatever form that may be)
necessarily is a good thing. But sure, cool tools would be good - and
the new Harvesting tool is meant to be aimed at these issues.

> The comments should then be in the Squeak Text Hypertext format.
>
> Such a tool would perhaps (perhaps!) motivated people to write
> comments in the first place.

Hmmm, well - why would a Swiki or a tool make it easier to write a class
comment? It is dead easy already. Create a new changeset, type in the
class comment, send changeset to list using the changesorter. Done.

But sure - a nice tool would of course monitor the whole flow of FIXes
etc so that you always can see where a submitted change "is" in the
process.

> -- Hannes

regards, Göran