[Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Mar 7 15:46:29 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 14:48, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Sounds good. Should we have *one* official kernel and then of course
> people can register their own variants on SM?
Probably. However, there should be very strong pressure against variants
on this level, IMHO.

> So "core" is the baseline that you normally (unless building something
> of your own on top of a kernel directly) "know" is there. And it is a
> superset of the official "kernel" I assume.

All three are strict supersets. Not that it is necessary, but it is
easier to build and explain, I think.

> Would "base" also be the boundary of everything maintained by stewards?
> I mean - does base define what we call "Squeak"? Does it include all of
> the stuff that we - as a community - considers to be "ours"?

That's probably too much. As I said - lots of room for discussion here,
especially at this level.

> Yes, I like it and I buy it.

Good. I knew you were smart enough to understand my arguments ;-)

> So, to get practical - should we introduce these three as Categories in
> SM? I would think so.
That is a very sensible first step, I think. And post (my) definitions
somewhere.

> And then of course a fourth is needed - "extra" or "other" or something.
> And should this category be mandatory?

BTW categories: did you consider something Trove-like?