[VOLUNTEER] Squeak Needs ... YOU!

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Sat Mar 8 07:55:34 UTC 2003

"Doug Clapp" <dclapp at qwest.net> wrote:
> I'm here to ask for volunteers.
>
> A few people on this list have made immense and consistent
> efforts to improve Squeak.  We all know who you are... and
> "thank you" for all the great work you do.
>
> To the many lurkers who post rarely, if ever, but are interested
> in this amazing language/environment...
>
> Please consider volunteering!  We need your help documenting
> and improving Squeak.  Details at:
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/808

Well, somebody not really beeing a lurker but who
has been relatively absent from the list the last few
months put his name on the member list of the documentation team.

Dan Ingalls wants to write an article entitled
'The Squeak Image'

You find an outline of it at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1053

I think this is *the* opportunity to ask a 30year expert
on Smalltalk/Squeak implementation issues.
I imagine that it would help Dan to get a feeling
where he should put an emphasis if he gets
questions. Often it is easier to write
if one has a list of questions to answer
than writing something from scratch.

-- Hannes

P.S. An important thing: Dan would be
willing to become the steward for graphics.

He as well expressed his interest to eventually
include sound!

Then the "estate" he is steward of
would be the multimedia part of Squeak.

I think this would be a great thing to have a
graphics, sound and music team with Dan as the
steward!

Given the acceptance of Dan of such a proposition
there would soon follow the question about who
would like to join that multimedia team. Sure,
having just Dan working on this is great.
But as the estate is large it may need
more people to look after. Various
media reader and writer classes need
follow up (e.g. PNG-writer)