Better names than core and base (was Re: Proposal to get to the triad)

Colin Putney cputney at whistler.com
Sat Mar 8 23:57:55 UTC 2003

On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 02:50  PM, Frank Sergeant wrote:

> 2. 'Base' and 'core' mix metaphors.  Kernel to core could be thought of
> as widening concentric circles (or concentric cylinders or spheres) --
> so 'core' implies a circular metaphor.  On the other hand, kernel to
> base is a stratification metaphor, implying layers atop lower layers.

Eureka! Thanks, Frank, for pinning down the reason this naming scheme
bothers me.

> Kernel is a good name; it is only base and core that need changing.

I agree, kernel is a good name. But it really doesn't fit with the
stratification metaphor.

For better conceptual consistency I propose this naming scheme, using
the circular metaphor:

kernel, core, cardinal

"Cardinal" replaces what Cees called "base". It refers to the cardinal
points of a compass. It implies a point on the edge of a circle, in
keeping with our metaphor. It also implies that the cardinal image is
slightly less self-contained than the core image - it starts at the
core, and different parts go off in different directions. At the same
time, there's room for other packages to be loaded in.

Colin