[Win32][ANN][TEST][VM] Yet another Win32 VM (3.4.2)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 9 02:09:20 UTC 2003

Hi Guys,

You might be wondering why you see yet another VM so briefly after the one I
just posted. The answer is that only after I built 3.4.1 I realized that I
completely forgot about both, the RePlugin and the FontPlugin (both a must
have in my understanding). It got me thinking about how to handle this and
considering my own lazyness I figured I need something that reminds me of
missing plugins or wrong configurations or similar. So I've posted a package
for "Win32 Standard VM Configuration tests" to SqueakMap
(http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/9de8e2ef-845a-4400-912f-cbd6b6c
f8e19) which serves two purposes:

#1: Remind me to get everything right when building a new VM

#2: Make it possible for you to check if your configuration conforms to the
"standard".

The new 3.4.2 VM is the first "conforming" VM by these measures. As of 3.4.2
the above standard configuration tests are a MUST HAVE for you. If you ever
encounter any weird problems (BitBlt failures, MPEGPlugin problems, etc) you
should run the configuration tests. They are designed to catch any of the
likely problems due to confusions between "external" and "internal" plugins.

If any of these tests fail it essentially means that you are running a
"non-conforming" configuration. This may not necessarily cause any problems
yet it is an indication that there _could_ be problem due to mismatches in
plugins (which means you should run your code with a "conforming"
configuration first to see if that fixes the problem). The tests will
identify this for any of the plugins being part of the standard release.

The 3.4.2 VM now also contains the RePlugin and the FontPlugin by default.
If you want to use either the Regex package or the Win32NativeFonts package
from SqueakMap just install them and off you go. As usual, the VM is up at
SF:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5506&release_id=145088

Enjoy,
  - Andreas