Proposal to get to the triad

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sun Mar 9 08:56:45 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 19:13, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> No, I think we have to be honest and consider it 'kitchen sink plus
> spare plumbing and some extra washers'. 'base' would be an IDE plus the
> major libraries and enough stuff to do development; I don't think that
> having games, IRC, a webbrowser, email, music tools and eToy could be
> considered basic.

Tim, I have posted a very long post that tried to detail exactly what I
thought 'kernel', 'core' and 'base' should contain just a couple of days
ago - but apparently you didn't pick it up. Here's the short version,
you can read the full version in the archives:
- kernel - minimum system that can bootstrap itself into something else
(VM+filein);
- core - minimum reasonably comfortable developer system;
- base - pre-configured end-user system.
The end user system would have most of the goodies that are in the
current Squeak image.