[BUG] strange Semaphore behavior in NetNameResolver

Stephane Rollandin hepta at zogotounga.net
Sun Mar 9 20:55:59 UTC 2003

Hello,

At times (well, this happened twice) my images get unable to connect the
Internet.

After investigation I found that NetNameResolver>>addressForName:timeout:
was broken because the Semaphore referenced in ResolverMutex refused to
evaluate its critical block, even though they was no other process
involving NetNameResolver running.

I add to explore the classPool of NetNameResolver and evaluate the
following there:

self at: #ResolverMutex put: nil

... which did the trick.

Any idea why the problem appeared in the first place ? Is there a simpler
way to fix it ?

Stef