[RFC][VM] Handling plugins in packages at SqueakMap

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 10 09:08:49 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> Flags map to the SM concept of categories, widely used. The license,
> stability and so forth are categories. Categories are organized in
> trees. Some of the SM UIs allow you to browse through the tree.

Right. In short:

1. Each package (and in the future each package release too) belongs to
1-n categories.
2. The categories are structured in a tree (or a forrest as someone
suggested at OOPSLA, he) and the tree is owned by the map.
3. If you know the password you can login using the web UI on the master
and manipulate the category tree. Currently I am the only one knowing
the password (or perhaps one or two of the guides) and the web UI is a
bit... non pedagogic. But it works.
4. If a category is marked as "mandatory" one of its subcats *must* be
chosen when registering/updating a package entry. License is one of
those. Adding a mandatory category will cause this to be enforced when
the registration is next updated.
5. I would *very much* like to have more feedback on the category tree.
Almost noone have had any feedback to give me whatsoever actually.

Here is a snippet to check if the package named 'Balloon3D' has the
category Squeak-L:

| map balloonIsSqueakL |
map _ SMSqueakMap default. "A singleton"
balloonIsSqueakL _ (map cardWithName: 'Balloon3D') categories includes:
(map categoryWithId: '94277ca9-4d8f-4f0e-a0cb-57f4b48f1c8a'). "packages
in SM1.0x are sometimes called 'cards'"

You can easily see all categories by exploring "SMSqueakMap default
categories" or "SMSqueakMap default topCategories".

So Andreas - if you want some categories for this just post names and a
oneline description. You can also include a URL for a category giving
more information about it - we haven't used it much but here is an
example (these should typically point into suitable descriptive pages on
minnow I think), note the "More info" line at the top:

http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/category/6407ed26-57a7-4742-8dad-d82
7618a9dbf

regards, Göran