Process, harvesting, getting your favorite things in the image

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 10 09:28:37 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Adam Spitz <adspitz at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>
> >     Frankly, guys, you are scaring me off.  I've got
> > my "collect into" stuff about ready to send off, but
> > the amount of annotation you apparently require has
> > passed my complexity threshold and is headed for the
> > top of the lightning rod.
>
> I've got the same feeling. The current process is
> really kinda intimidating, at least for a newcomer
> like me. But I figure it's just temporary.

Yes, temporary. And I haven't really caught up with it so I don't have
any more to say at this point. But it *is* temporary.

> After writing almost none of the code, I somehow ended
> up as the steward for the "Debugger - stub method
> creation" package on SqueakMap. Very soon after that,

Ended up a Steward? Actually to be correct - you ended up as a "package
maintainer".
And you must have registered that on SM yourself, right?

To clarify a bit: A Steward is a package maintainer for a package in
Squeak base. The exact meaning of being a Steward is currently debated -
last quite interesting posting made by Andreas Raab on the SqF-list btw.

AFAIK your package isn't yet considered as being in the "official Squeak
base" so you are not a "Steward".

Anyway, I know these terms are being defined as we speak - but this is
AFAIK the current definition.

[SNIP]
> An even better solution, though, is
> just for the rest of us to take as much of the code as
> we can and split it apart from the image and take
> responsibility for it ourselves.

Yes, *BUT* please coordinate this with the Guide responsible for
coordinating this process.
Check http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/73

> Lately I decided that I'd like to use Celeste for my
> e-mail. I'm sure that I'll end up wanting to make lots
> of little changes to it, and I don't particularly like
> the idea of going through this new Harvesting process
> to get those changes approved, so I've been looking
> into making a removal change set for Celeste. After
> that, I'm hoping that someone more qualified than me
> will take stewardship of it, so that I can send my
> change requests to that person - but if not, then I'm
> willing to take it myself.

Please, *please* first read this webpage:
http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/77

...where you can see that it is already being taken care of!

regards, Göran