[Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Mar 10 14:49:29 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 10:45, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Btw, Cees - I haven't had the time to check out trove in detail yet -
> but what are the features/differences in trove that you would like to
> have?

Trove has a hierarchy of classifications (mostly orthogonal - platform,
audience, level, ...); you can add a package in a whole bunch of
classifications. For example, look at
http://freshmeat.net/projects/squeak under 'Trove Categories'.

What I like about it:
1. Classificying is a no-brainer - all categories are presented as a
flat list (with '::' separating the hierarchical levels), and the
classifier just runs down the list and checks relevant items;
2. Navigation can be done tree-wise, or by various drill-down techniques
(for example move to 'Audience :: End-User' and then narrow down to
'Status :: Stable').

It's not perfect, but I think it is practical. It seems to work for the
tens of thousands of packages on FM and SF...