Process, harvesting, getting your favorite things in the image

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Mon Mar 10 14:48:46 UTC 2003

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> er, um, eh, wot?
>
>     This is beginning to look as though Grundoon is in charge.
>
>     Frankly, guys, you are scaring me off.  I've got my "collect into"
> stuff about ready to send off, but the amount of annotation you apparently
> require has passed my complexity threshold and is headed for the top of
> the lightning rod.
>
>     There is no way that I am going to be able to remember the
> formatting requirements (is it (er)(um) <er><um> [er][um] (er,um) or
> what?)  or even what the TLAs stand for and when to use them.
>
>     I can only see this as a way to make the FIX/ENH submission and above
> all adoption process _harder_ and _slower_.  It's certainly looking like an
> effective way of keeping me out, that's for sure.
>
>     The only way that I could possibly cope with something like this is if
> it's built into Celeste or if it's done through buttons in some Swiki page
> that Squeak knows how to navigate me to without _me_ telling it.

It is great that you are doing fixes for the collection classes!

Just send in your "collect into" stuff as the way you are used to.
In adition you may throw in a few SUnit tests. This increases chances
that your enhancement gets through faster.
Your fix will be perceived as having visible quality.

Please use one of the tags at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/398  Report bugs and fixes

[BUG] for bug reports
[FIX] bug fixes
[ENH] enhancements of existing features
[GOODIE] addition of a new feature
[ANN] announcements
[TEST]  Submitting SUnit tests

and see what happens.

Other people will annotate  your contributions using the tags from the
page

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3103

Commenting Bugs and Fixes

QA tags at the beginning of your comment in parenthesis in the title.
The QA tags are:

[sm]  Small. (Changesets should be under 10k.)
[cd]  Changes documented (Reasoning is given that explains every change
made)
[sl]  SLint approved (You don't have to do what SLint says(sometimes
it's wrong), but have a good reason why you didn't)
[er]  Externally reviewed (Design + code, by someone other than the
author, quite knowledgeable about the package)
[et]  Externally tested (Import into a fresh image; generally making
sure it doesn't break anything that uses it; run relevant existing SUnit
tests. (Implies [er] and[cd])).
[su]  Covered by and passes SUnit tests, either included or external.
Included tests should be described, and external tests should be pointed
to.

You will then see your fix, the comments and processing status neatly
grouped at
http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/

I belong to the group of people who think that the advantages of this
process enhancement outweight the inconveniences caused by it. An
perhaps somebody comes up with Celeste enhancements which makes the
handling of this easier. In the meantime you need just to rember the
following rules
- The original author posts the way it always was
- People who follow up with comments have to make sure that no "RE: " is
in their answer. The title has to be the same as that of the original
contributor. However they add a comment in brackets ( ) at the end. This
comments can include one of the tags [sm][cd][sl][er][et][su].

It may be helpful to print out the above list of the explanations for
the comments and create a post-it like note and  patch it onto the side
of your screen. Not actually elegant, but works fine.

-- Hannes

P.S. Surely - more enhancements which will be more user friendly will
follow.
But at the moment we are trying hard to find ways to deal with a
back-log of fixes of many months. And the simplest thing that possibly
may work at the moment is to use Berts archive in a more intelligent
way.